Forage Farm Shop & Kitchen is located on Penllyn Estate, which has been farmed by the Homfray family since 1846.
Today, the Estate is home to a diverse range of businesses, but agriculture remains at its core. Feed wheat, oil seed rape, maize and vegetables form the bulk of the crops grown, while the livestock operation focuses on the rearing of cattle, sheep and pigs. There is also a large brood of free-range chickens that supplies the shop and kitchen with eggs. Sustainable farming practices are embraced where possible, and the Estate has planted more than 50,000 trees since 1990. Approximately 10% of the farm
Realising the Dream
Having a high quality shop and restaurant onsite to provide a direct outlet for the animals reared on the farm has long been an ambition. As far back at the late 1980s, the Estate sought planning consent for such an enterprise. However, various hurdles, including poor access, prevented the dream from becoming a reality. That changed in 2018, when permission was granted for a new access and road to the Estate. In 2020, after 18 months of design and construction, we were finally able to open Forage.
Here at Forage, we believe that understanding the journey that our food takes to our plates is a key part of appreciating and enjoying what we eat and drink. Much of our produce originates from Penllyn Estate Farm, with the remainder sourced locally where possible. Community is close to our hearts, and supporting the local economy is a key part of that. We are proud of our roots and strive to meet the highest standards from farming through to the food that we sell and serve.
From Bare Field to Farm Shop of the Year 2022
It goes without saying we are grateful for your continued support. From a bare field to Welsh Farm Shop of 2022 in the space of 3 years is an accomplishment we’re beyond proud of and would like to thank each and every one of you for your involvement, custom, encouragement and constructive feedback that makes Forage the award-winning business it is today.
THERE ARE THREE THINGS AT THE HEART OF ALL WE DO:
- QUALITY– All of the products sold in our shop, and the food served in our restaurant, are of the highest quality. Fresh produce is locally-sourced and seasonal. The beef, lamb and pork on our butcher’s counter comes from Penllyn Estate, as do the eggs and the rapeseed oils. While we will not compromise on quality, we strive to stock as much Welsh produce as possible, with over 70% of the goods sold in our shop originating in Wales.
- COMMUNITY – We are passionate about our local community, and proud of our roots. We work with local artisan suppliers and love getting to know them and their businesses. We want our customers to feel part of the Forage story and proud of their local farm shop, hence our slogan ‘Eat Well, Eat Welsh’.
- SUSTAINABILITY – From using best farming practices to limiting food miles, we are striving to reduce our carbon footprint. Our crops are sown using a direct drill, which helps to keep carbon locked in the soil while improving organic matter content. Our animals are reared outdoors for six months of the year during the spring and summer, and are slaughtered at a family-run abattoir a short distance away in Maesteg. The journey from farm to fork could not be any shorter, and that is reflected in the quality and taste of the meat.
As you shop, let the kids play!
Our Children’s Play Area
We know how hard it can be to keep young children occupied and entertained; we hope your little ones enjoy our play area – and that it provides tired parents with a moment of well-deserved respite!
They will love our outdoor play area which consists of:
- 2 Swings
- 1 Basket Swing
- A See Saw
- A Wooden Climbing Frame With Netting
- A Wooden Castle With Hideout
- 2 Slides
- Tree Stump Stepping Stones
- A Tire Sand Pit
- And A Sit On Wooden Train
And of course – its all completely FREE!!!
Furry Friends Are Welcome!
Can I Bring My Dog to Forage?
Your four legged friends are welcome on our lawn and walk routes, though we do not accept dogs in the shop or restaurant.
Penllyn Estate Farm
What People are Saying About Us…
“Went for coffee and cake. Lovely venue in a glorious setting with superb views. The shop is awesome. We’ve already been back a few times and thoroughly enjoyed.“
“Top quality food, amazing Staff. We have had breakfast there many times and always very tasty. They also sell what they serve in their shop.”
Events Never Disappoint
“Excellent quality meat and veg! We’ve also been to a number of their events and they never disappoint! “
“Amazing food, and really good coffee! The choice of local produce in the farm shop is brilliant and the butchers is really tasty and good quality.“
Our News And Events
Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium doloremque laudantium, totam rem aperiam.
THAI GLAZED PORK STEAK WITH KOHLRABI SLAW Serves 2 | Preparation 20 mins | Cook 20 minsIngredients For the Kohlrabi 1 Heritage Carrot 1 Kohlrabi 1 Red Onion 2 Spring Onions ½ Lemon (juiced) Splash of Forage Rapeseed Oil (lemon or chilli) Small Handful of...
Summer Holidays Are Nearly Here! With the summer holidays just a stone’s throw away we thought we would put together a list of lovely gifts to give to your child’s teacher this year. So, whether you’re looking for a good old fashion mug or a hamper that champions all...
Father's Day: Sunday 19th June With Father's Day just around the corner we thought we would put together our top 5 Forage gifts, as chosen by our shop team, because sometimes socks don't quite make the cut! Forage Father's Day BBQ Box A selection of high BBQ items...